VET Student Loans
VET Student Loans:
- Are a loan from the Commonwealth
- Will remain a personal debt until it is repaid to the Commonwealth
- The loan may, until the debt is repaid, reduce the student’s take-home (after-tax) wage or salary and may reduce the students borrowing capacity; and
- A student may wish to seek independent financial advice before applying for a loan.
The debt must be paid back at the relevant repayment rate when your income is above to compulsory repayment threshold. For more information about VET Student Loans, please refer to the VET Student Loans information booklet. More information is also available at the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
- an Australian citizen, or
- a qualifying New Zealand citizen, or
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder, who is usually resident in Australia.
- providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate; or
- providing evidence of successful completion of a Certificate IV or higher qualification; or
- displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
|Course||VET Student Loan Limit||Total Tuition Fees for Course|
|SHB50115 Diploma of Beauty Therapy (Science of Beauty)||$16,077||$15,000|
|SHB50115 Diploma of Beauty Therapy (Business of Beauty)||$16,077||$11,000|
The amount loaned cannot be greater than the student’s remaining HELP Balance.
The amount of HELP debt a student accrues if you receive the maximum amount of the VET Student Loan for the course could be up to 120% of the loaned amount.
Use the VET Student Loans Calculator to help you understand what your debt will be when you start your course.
If you are not eligible for VET Student Loans or you need to (or choose to) pay part of your tuition fees directly the other payment options available to you are outlined in Course Payment Options.
IMPORTANT: You must submit your electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) application to apply for a VET Student Loan to the Commonwealth before your first commencement day. If you do not submit an eCAF prior to commencing your studies, you will be required to pay your first study period yourself. You can submit an eCAF application prior to the commencement of later study periods if you chose to use a VET Student Loan for future study.
In order for a student to continue to access VET Student Loans, students may require during their course of study to communicate their agreement that the Secretary continue to use VET Student Loans to pay ongoing tuition fees for the course.
Students will need to confirm your active and legitimately continued to be enrolment in a course by logging into the Department of Education and Training’s electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF). Failure to do so may affect your ability to continue accessing VET Student Loans.
A student may cancel their enrolment in their course or part of the course as per the Student Withdrawal, Refund and Re-Credit of FEE-HELP Balance Policy (VSL Eligible Students).
If a student withdraws before the census date for a course or part of a course, the student will not incur a VET Student Loan debt for the course or part of the course and will receive a refund for any additional tuition fees already paid for the course or part of the course.
(click image to view larger)
- Step one – Ask us if the course you’re interested in studying is an approved course for VET Student Loans
- Step two – read the VSL Student information handbook and Important Additional Information, Policies and Procedures
- Step three – Enrol with us!
- Step four – Give our Enrolment team the required eligibility information evidence
- Step five – If eligible, and deemed academically suited to study your chosen course you will be asked to complete the required information in the electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) to request use of A VET Student Loan to pay.
- Student Recruitment and Enrolment Policy & Procedure
- VET Student Loan Information Booklet
- Student Withdrawal, Refund and Re-Credit of FEE-HELP Balance Policy (VSL Eligible Students)
- Academic and Non-Academic Grievance Policy
- Statement of VET Tuition Assurance
- Fees, Charges and Refund Policy & Procedure
- Niche Personal Information Policy